"Welcome to Myrtle Manor" described as "docu-soap"-all fake, of course (Update: promo video up & still fake)
update at the bottom...
While we all wait with bated breath for the debut of TLC's "Welcome to Myrtle Manor" some leaks have come out about the show.
Those leaks all seem to point to the fact that the show is all fake. This revelation shatters TheDigitel's staff perception of reality TV. If reality TV isn't real, what is? It's all about reality, right? According to Starcasm.net the upcoming "reality" show is best described as a "docu-drama"
That term “docu-soap” (one not used in the brief presser via TLC) keys us in to the probability that we already have the makings of a show that isn’t really reality. Also, remember that this is the network that brought us the wildly popular and wildly fake, Breaking Amish. Here’s an acceptable definition of a docu-soap:
"A genre of reality television in the style of a documentary in which an apparent plot is constructed by intention or editing in order to make programs in this genre resemble soap operas."
From what some of our local sources who were around for filming have told us, there is a small salon business that was made up and built specifically for the show. The salon, of course is filled with 'crazy' personalities.
Additionally, local club promoter Taylor J. Burt and his mother 'star' in the show - of course Burt doesn't live in that or any trailer park. Burt, Instagram'd an image of himself sneering as he bought this month's "O" magazine which featured a photo of Burt in an ad for Myrtle Manor. The ad also had the wrong air-date for the show.
Another 'star' of Myrtle Manor is Shellie Rowell. Rowell has a "Team Shellie" Facebook page set up all ready for her fauxlebrity stardom. The page's description reads:
Following the exploits of TLC's newest star Shellie Rowell from Welcome to Myrtle Manor! Stay tuned!
This page has no affiliation to TLC and was created and is now operated by Soup Owens-Fowler, a fan just like you.
So, like most reality shows out there, Myrtle Manor will be lacking in reality and just be mostly show.
Above is an image that ListenUpMB.com posted on their Facebook page, with a challenge to create the next Myrtle Beach reality series. One of their dream shows is, ""Beachwear Wars” - The inner workings of the never-ending Waves vs. Eagles vs. Wings battle." Head on over and let them know what Myrtle Beach show you'd think would be awesome.
Below is a behind the scene's video of what appears to be the crew setting up a badass opening sequence of a Firebird burnin' some rubber...hell yeah!
Update February 7th: The original expected air date for "Welcome to Myrtle Manor" came and went but it's been revealed now that the new air date is March 3rd at 10:00pm.
from the Press Release:
"TLC shows a slice of Southern beach life in Welcome to Myrtle Manor, a new ten-part series that follows the crazy antics at a trailer park in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Premiering Sunday, March 3 at 10 PM (ET/PT), each sixty-minute episode takes viewers along for a wild ride with these quirky mobile home residents as their lives collide in this proud, tight knit community.
Formerly Patrick’s Mobile Home, Myrtle Manor has been handed down from generation to generation. The trailer park landlord Becky took over the reigns from her father and owner of the park, Cecil, and is feeling the pressure to succeed. The recent name change and other improvements to the establishment– including a new hair salon and above ground swimming pool – are part of a larger effort to turn the mobile home community into a “5-star resort.” A transient , the residents of Myrtle Manor come from all walks of life – some have lived there for 30 years, others only 30 days and like the legions of tourists visiting Myrtle Beach, they treat everyday like a vacation. From wacky hijinks and relationship drama, to evictions and backyard brawls, there’s never a dull moment inside the Manor. While at first glance it seems very different from the places most of us live, at its core, it’s a neighborhood and although these colorful characters may argue, scream and fight, at the end of the day, they abide by trailer park law – you mess with one, you mess with the whole trailer park."
The cast list (below) also reveals that name of the fisrt report mentioned made-for-TV hair salon business is Tangulls (get it, Tan-Gulls). The faux business also has a Foursquare page with 24 checkins.
- Becky: The Trailer Park Landlord: Myrtle Manor has been in Becky’s family for generations and now her father Cecil is turning over the business to her. Will she turn it into the five-star trailer park she has always dreamed of or will Cecil have to fire her before Myrtle Manor falls apart?
- Jeana: Aunt to Becky: Miss Jeana (with a J) is Becky’s aunt. Having just split from her husband of over 20 years, Jeana is making a fresh start in Myrtle Manor with her motorcycle, her new look, and her no excuses approach to life.
- Cecil: Becky’s father, brother to Jeana, Owner of Myrtle Manor: Cecil is the patriarch of Myrtle Manor and one of Myrtle Beach’s largest landowners. Cecil’s daddy built the trailer park and now Cecil is entrusting the family legacy to Becky. If she cannot keep the money coming in and the riff raff going out, Cecil may have to reconsider the future of the park.
- Jared: The New Guy: After drifting from place to place, Jared storms into Myrtle Manor on his crotch rocket. Seeing Jared down on his luck, Miss Becky has a soft spot for him and literally gives him a new lot in life with a beat-up Airstream on a patch of grass. Jared can live rent free until he gets a job if he earns his keep by doing odd jobs for Myrtle Manor. He wants to do right by Becky, but will his wild ways get him into trouble?
- Chelsey: Darlin’ Dog Wiener Girl: Chelsey is the co-founder of Darlin’ Dogs – a struggling hot dog business on wheels. Chelsey is determined to create a hot dog empire on the boardwalks of Myrtle Beach, but when all the earnings go to parties and booze, the Darlin’ Dogs will have a hard time making rent at Myrtle Manor.
- Lindsay: Darlin’ Dog Wiener Girl: The perpetually giggling Lindsay is co-founder of Darlin’ Dogs. Less business savvy than her partner Chelsey, Lindsay is more interested in the Myrtle Beach nightlife than slinging hot dogs for cash.
- Amanda: Newest Darlin’ Dog: Wearing a “Bless Your Heart” trucker hat and a whole lot of attitude, Amanda is the turtle hunting, four wheel driving redneck of the Darlin Dogs Empire. The Weiner Girls, Chelsey and Lindsey, found their new co-worker at a bar and they better be careful, because Amanda’s motto is, “You can’t call someone a true friend until you get into a fight.”
- Gina: Co-owner of Tangulls (Myrtle Manor hair salon) and hairdresser: Miss Gina has lived in Myrtle Beach all her life. When Becky wanted to give the trailer park a new image, she looked no further than Miss Gina to open a salon in Myrtle Manor. Although she doesn’t live in the park, Miss Gina is more than happy to have Tangulls serve as the rumor mill for the residents.
- Roy: Co-owner of Tangulls (Myrtle Manor hair salon), hairdresser and former drag queen: Roy might not be your average good ole boy, but Roy is as Southern as they come. Originally from a small town in North Carolina, Roy moved to the “New York of the South” after beauty school. He’s worked the pageant route and is considered one of the top make-up artists in Myrtle Beach. Roy is the first to admit that his lips and cheekbones are surgically enhanced, but his man boobs are all his.
- Taylor: Local Club Promoter: Taylor is the "king" of Myrtle Beach nightlife. When he’s not at the club, Taylor is trying to manage his volatile relationship with his live-in girlfriend, Jessica. And if he needs any help, his mom Anne lives in the trailer across the street.
- Gus: Taylor’s Dog: Gus is Taylor’s wingman, his confidant and his best friend. When not drooling all over Taylor’s trailer, Gus is watching over Myrtle Manor.
- Jessica: Taylor’s Girlfriend: With her fire engine red hair and piercings, Jessica is hard to miss at Myrtle Manor. The young beauty can be found flirting with the boy next door or fighting on the front porch of the trailer that she shares with her boyfriend Taylor.
- Anne: Taylor’s Mother: Anne lives across the street from her son Taylor. With white wine in hand, she tries to keep the peace between Taylor, Jessica and all of Myrtle Manor. A little quirky, Anne’s wisdom is uniquely Myrtle Beach.
- Marvin: Security Guard: Marvin is this five-star trailer park’s head of security. Marvin’s job is to ensure the safety of the residents, direct traffic and help Miss Becky keep the rules enforced.
- Bandit: Jingle Writer: This jingle writer, hot rod driving and New Yorker Roger is also known as “Bandit.” His deluxe doublewide may look fancy on the outside, but inside, the roaches and mold are threating his makeshift recording studio. With his livelihood in jeopardy, Bandit is a jingle session shy from being evicted by Becky.
- Miss Peggy: The eyes and ears of Myrtle Manor: Miss Peggy is the oldest resident at Myrtle Manor, but this little old lady has some surprises in store. Not your average Grandma, Miss Peggy reminds everyone you only live once and Miss Peggy is here to LIVE.
- Shellie: The Wiccan: Shellie, one of Myrtle Beach’s few and proud Goth wiccans, resides at Myrtle Manor. As the owner of a Goth/Metal Club on the boardwalk, her odd hours keep the trailer park residents talking. Ask her what kind of witch she is and she will explain there is no such thing as good or bad witches. Just witches.
- Alyson: Becky’s Daughter:Alyson is Becky’s youngest daughter and the princess of the park. Currently in school for business, she one day hopes to take over management of Myrtle Manor.
It's probably not a good sign that the show got pushed back nearly two months from its January air date. Also not a good sign? TLC.com so far has no mention of the show and their official website is just a splash page.
Remember folks, the name TLC once stool for "The Learning Channel".
Update: February 17th: TLC has released two trailers for "Welcome to Myrtle Manor" and well....
Additionally, TLC has finally put up the show page on their website. The page features the above videos, cast photos and some info on the show. All we can say is, it looks like the 'residents' had some fun while filming.
Don't forget to set your DVRs for 10:00pm on March 3rd.
Comment and read more
our topic pages and automatically found related coverage.