State roads and bridges in dire conditions
WIS News out of Columbia has a two part report regarding the saftey and condition of the states bridges and roads. Watch the first part of their report above and make sure to hop on over to WISTV.com for their full write-up and second part to their broadcast.
Some quick numbers:
- 886 Bridges are structurally deficient
- 777 bridges are functionally obsoleye
- 10 bridges have closed
- 87% of primary roads are rated fair to poor
- 89% of secondary roads are rated fair to poor
- Congestion of our roads cost the state $2.6 million
- It would take $1,476 million a year for 20 years to bring state roads to a level of good
- SC has the fourth lowest gas tax in the nation ay 16.8 cents
- Only 75% of that tax goes towards road/bridge work
Comment and read more
our topic pages and automatically found related coverage.