More than 20 professional athletes, PGA golfers, musicians and more have joined the celebrity NEEDTOBREATHE Classic set for Monday, March 23 at the Daniel Island Club. The third annual tournament benefits Charleston area nonprofit Palmetto Medical Initiative in its efforts to bring quality health care to countries around the world.
Charleston-based Grammy Award-nominated rock ‘n’ roll band NEEDTOBREATHE and the Commonwealth Cares Foundation put together a day of golf and an evening of music.
Celebrities scheduled to participate in the NEEDTOBREATHE Classic are:
- Michael Bennett, former Georgia wide receiver
- Tajh Boyd, New York Jets player and former Clemson quarterback
- Case Keenum, Houston Texans quarterback
- Hutson Mason, former Georgia quarterback
- Mason Crosby, Green Bay Packers
- Tyler Thigpen, Cleveland Browns quarterback
- Tony Womack, former MLB star (Pittsburgh Pirates and the Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Bear Rinehart, NEEDTOBREATHE
- Bo Rinehart, NEEDTOBREATHE
- Seth Bolt, NEEDTOBREATHE
- Darius Rucker, country music star and Hootie & the Blowfish lead singer
- Mark Bryan, Hootie & the Blowfish guitar player
- Ed Roland, musician (Collective Soul lead singer; Ed Roland & the Sweet Tea Project)
- John Mark McMillan, musician
- Ben Rector, musician
- Russell Henley, PGA player
- Kevin Streelman, PGA player
- Duncan Sheik, musician
- Jesse Triplett, musician
- Matt Wertz, musician
- David Crowder, musician
- George Bryan, golf trick shot artist
- Wesley Bryan, golf trick shot artist
- Debbe Dunning, actress (“Home Improvement”)
Registration begins at 9 a.m. the day of the tournament with a shotgun start at 11 a.m. Doors open at 6 p.m. for an after party concert with NEEDTOBREATHE and friends plus a live and silent auction. This intimate concert at the Daniel Island Club is limited to sponsors and players.
Single player standard golf registration is $625/player and includes a standard gift bag and two After Party badges to the the dinner and concert. Standard team registration is $2,500 and includes a foursome in the tournament, four standard gift bags and eight After Party badges to the dinner and concert.
For those wishing to play with a celebrity, the celebrity foursomes are $5,000 and include four VIP gift bags and eight After Party badges to the dinner and concert. Register at www.commonwealthcares.org.
The 2014 tournament raised $140,000 for PMI, which funded about half the cost of a second medical clinic PMI is building in Uganda. In 2014, PMI launched its 20 by 20 campaign – a plan to have 20 medical centers by 2020. Most of those will be in Uganda and Nicaragua with the goal of blanketing a particular area and elevating care for an entire region. The money raised at the 2015 NEEDTOBREATHE Classic will benefit PMI’s 20 by 20 campaign.
NEEDTOBREATHE – Bear Rinehart, Bo Rinehart, Seth Bolt and Josh Lovelace – are long-time supporters of PMI. In December, Bear Rinehart and Bolt went to Uganda as part of a PMI mission trip. Rinehart also previously went to Uganda with PMI in December 2011.
PMI is the official nonprofit partner of NEEDTOBREATHE, which will release their career first live album “NEEDTOBREATHE: Live From The Woods” on April 14, one year to the day since the debut of their fifth studio album “Rivers In the Wasteland.” The band will head out on the road for the Tour de Compadres starting on April 23 with special guests Ben Rector (Leg One), Switchfoot (Leg Two), Drew Holcomb and Colony House.