Image by Flickr user G.MAI
April 12th, 2011 is the Sesquicentennial of the Civil War, and the event will be commemorated by events beginning April 11th.
Here are some of the events that you can look forward to (all events take place at White Point Gardens):
- Voices from the Civil War, on Monday, April 11th from 9-10:30 p.m. Featuring the Charleston Symphony Orchestra, CSO Spiritual Esemble, and more. Admission is free.
- Sunrise Concert: When Jesus Wept, on Tuesday, April 12th from 4:30-5 a.m. This event is in remembrance of the moment the Civil War began. Admission is free.
Additionally, there will be cannons firing throughout April 12th scheduled from the following locations:
- Patriot’s Point in Mount Pleasant
- Pitt Street Bridge in Mount Pleasant
- Alhambra Hall in Mount Pleasant
- Breach Inlet on Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina
- Station #22 on Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina
- Fort Johnson on James Island, South Carolina
- Cannon fire at the Carolina Yacht Club between 7 PM and about 9PM.
The first cannon firing will be a 10" mortar cannon at 6:45 a.m. from Fort Johnson. All other locations will begin firing after that first round for about 45 minutes and will continue sporadically throughout the day.
For more information about the cannon firings, contact Barbara Vaughn at (843) 724-3746 or firstname.lastname@example.org.