Top golfers and golf enthusiasts will be at Kiawah Island from August 6 to 12 for the 2012 PGA Championship, and Freshfields Village has is planning plenty of events to keep everyone entertained once they’ve had their fill of golf.
Located just outside the gates of Kiawah and Seabrook islands, Freshfields villages offer shops, galleries, restaurants, and more.
To get into the golf spirit, golf-themed movies will be shown during the Starlight Cinemas on August 7 and 8 at 8:30 p.m. Plus, The First Tee of Greater Charleston will host fun golf games for kids from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Guests are encouraged to bring a blanket or chair to this free outdoor movie series. Parental guidance suggested. Starlight Cinemas is sponsored by Seabrook Island.
- Tuesday, August 7- Tin Cup (1996): A washed up golf pro working at a driving range tries to qualify for the U.S. Open in order to win the heart of his successful rival’s girlfriend. 135 min. PG-13 (edited version)
- Wednesday, August 8- Legend of Bagger Vance (2000): Filmed on Kiawah Island, a down-and-out golfer attempts to recover his game and his life with help from a mystical caddy. 126 min. PG-13
PGA weekend (August 9 -11) will also feature free, outdoor Concerts by the Lake from 7 to 10 p.m.. Bring chairs or blankets and groove to some of the best tribute bands around. Food and beverage will be available for purchase from the 19th Hole Pavilion and local food trucks (no outside coolers will be allowed). Concerts are sponsored by Michelob Ultra, Pearlstine Distributors, The Town of Kiawah, Kiawah Island Real Estate, Seabrook Island, ResortQuest, Charleston Magazine, 103.5 WEZL, Y102.5, Q104.5 and 94.3 WSC.
- Thursday, August 9: U2 by UV (A U2 Tribute Show): Combining the musical talent, stage show and even Bono’s distinctive look, UV is sure to rock the crowd.
- Friday, August 10: A1A Jimmy Buffett Tribute Band: The original Jimmy Buffett cover band has been playing all of his hits for 20 years and even played for the musician himself. Stage props, dancers and the Margaritaville mood will get the audience moving.
- Saturday, August 11: Yacht Rock Revue: Performing soft rock hits from the 70’s, this band even dresses like the era they love.
All retail shops will have extended hours August 6 – 12 from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. For a full list of events during PGA at Freshfields Village visit http://freshfieldsvillage.com/PGA/94th and for more information call 843-768-6491.