Apparently I was suffering a bad Holiday Hangover last week and also missed a story about a local man's escape from his burning home early Monday, December 5.
The Post and Courier reports in part:
Michael Donaldson awoke early Monday and felt his dog, Tristan, gnawing on his hand.
The pet often got his attention that way, but not at 1 a.m.
Though still groggy from being awakened, Donaldson quickly understood; a smoke alarm was bleating as smoke filled his North Charleston apartment.
Donaldson was rescued from his third-floor apartment, but his dog did not survive.
The fire was at the Cedar Grove Apartments at 8708 Evangeline Drive in North Charleston.