Fielding history: Georgetown’s Mike Johnson Park a lasting tradition

Originally named Georgetown County Stadium the facility was built in the late 1800s with the earliest recorded game played in 1896.

Now named Mike Johnson Park, it is located on the live oak-lined Emanuel Street in Georgetown, and has a homey, historic feel not found in modern ballparks.

1940s: Georgetown Athletics, members of the semi-pro Palmetto League and sponsored by the Loyal Motor Company, begin playing in the stadium with a tin fence.

▪ 1950s: The Palmetto League is a main attraction until late 1950’s. The Stadium is refurbished by International Paper Company (replacing tin fence with a concrete wall and installing scoreboard). Stadium used for high school baseball.